Department Overview

The Alderbrook Design and Technology Faculty comprises six teachers and three technicians each of whom are committed to developing the teaching of Design and Technology and raising achievement within our subject. We work together as a Faculty to improve all areas of our practice and all staff specialise in a specific area. We are a friendly and supportive department who love what we do and take great pride in seeing pupils achieve within our subject. The technology department comprises of two modern food kitchens, two workshops, two computer rooms and a Textiles workshop equipped with 12 sewing machines. Computer Aided Design and Manufacture are an essential element throughout design and technology at Alderbrook. Our facilities include a large flatbed laser cutter, 3D printer, a CAD/CAM sewing machine, a suite of touch screen computers, industry standard software such as Photoshop and 2D design.

 

Key Stage 3

In Key Stage 3 Technology, groups are mixed ability, but class differentiation is based on KS2 data and following our own baseline testing with the first half term of Year 7. There are five sets on each side of the year group.

Pupils follow a rotation system every twelve lessons to give them an experience of different materials and different techniques within all areas of Technology. Each scheme of work is designed to best equip pupils for success in the new GCSE Specifications of September 2017:

SOW will comprise Food, Textiles, Woodwork, Graphics and CADCAM.

 

Year 7 and Year 8

Rotation 1: Food and Nutrition  Rotation 2: CADCAM  Rotation 3: Woodwork  Rotation 4: Textiles Rotation 5: Graphics

Core skills learnt in year 7

  • Designing for others
  • Material properties.
  • Identifying and using the correct tools and equipment.
  • Cutting, shaping and finishing different materials to a high standard.
  • Health and Safety in the workshop.
  • Industrial Practice
  • Graphical representation
  • Maths in Design and Technology

Core skills learnt in year 8

  • Different wood joints
  • Cutting and shaping wood to a high standard
  • Isometric drawing
  • Research into sustainability and the 6R’s
  • Materials and properties
  • 3D Design
  • Graphical representation
  • Maths in Design and Technology

 

Key Stage 4 – Design and Technology

The new GCSE Design and Technology will prepare students to participate confidently and successfully in an increasingly technological world. Students will gain awareness and learn from wider influences on Design and Technology including historical, social, cultural, environmental and economic factors. Students will get the opportunity to work creatively when designing and making and apply technical and practical expertise.

 

Pupils who opt for Design and Technology will be following the AQA GCSE Design and Technology – First teaching September 2017.

For first examinations in June 2019 onwards (50% Examination):

Written exam: 2 hours

100 marks – 50% of GCSE

Non-exam assessment (NEA): 30 – 35 hours approx..

100 marks – 50% of GCSE

 

Design and Technology – Year 9 & 10

Until the end of year, 10 pupils will be developing their core and specialist skills required for their GSCE coursework and exam. Pupils will cover a variety of projects that will include skills that allow them to demonstrate;

  • Hand skills
  • Presentation and attention to detail.
  • Accuracy with measuring and marking.
  • Ability to select the correct tools and equipment for the job.
  • Technical drawing skills.

Core skills learnt:

  • Designing and making vacuumed formed moulds.
  • Isometric drawing.
  • Identifying plastics, their properties and applications.
  • Forming plastics
  • Composite materials
  • Soldering electronic circuits and drawing circuit diagrams.

 

Year 11

Current year 11 students are currently the last co-hort on the old Design and Technology specification.

Coursework makes up 60% of the overall grade with the Exam completing the other 40%.

 

Extra Curricular Opportunities

During the summer term, pupils will have the opportunity to do additional projects in afterschool and lunchtime clubs.

 

Skills for Success and Career Opportunities

All schemes within Technology include employability skills, such as organizational skills, communication, teamwork, resilience, time management, perseverance and problem solving.

 

Architecture lecturer and teacher. Fashion Design, Interior Design, Engineering, Space Design, Civil Engineering, Website Design, Draughting, Quantity Surveying, Geotechnical, Surveying, Product Design, Town Planning, Illustrator, Theatre Designer, Animator, Textile Designer, Costume Designer, Fashion Designer, Sportswear Designer, Footwear Designer, Jewellery Design, Automotive Design and many more.

 

Contact the Head of Department

For further information, please contact Mrs Williams – Head of Faculty